Competition Driving School
Our first Driving School for 2024 will take place on Friday, May 10th at Pacific Raceways, registration for students and instructors is open till May 5th at MotorSportReg.com. The first school in May often sells out with only 20 spots available. Be sure to register early to secure your spot!
At the IRDC driving school our passion is to help you to develop as a driver, on the road, on the track and ultimately in a race, so we look forward to welcoming drivers of all levels, including first-time track drivers!
The focus of our school is to help you develop your high-performance driving skills and make progress towards the goals you and your coach agree to at the start of the day. All of our instructors are competition-licensed racecar drivers with many miles of track and race experience who are ready to share their knowledge to help you develop your skill. For those drivers whose goals include wheel-to-wheel racing, the school will evaluate your currently demonstrated skills with respect to readiness for a Novice racing license from the International Conference of Sports Car Clubs (ICSCC).
Prior to the school we will conduct a mandatory 3-hour online briefing via Zoom (usually the Wednesday evening before). Registered students will receive a link to the meeting early in the week of the school.
The school consists of a full day of on-track activities and classroom sessions at Pacific Raceways. The typical schedule of activities starts at 7:00 am with check-in, car inspection and instructor introduction. The track walk takes place at 7:55am where you will learn the details of each corner, the angles, the surface, camber, slope and reference points that enable a drive to achieve consistent lap times.
The Classroom Covers:
- Car preparation – tires, brakes, fluids, seat belts
- Car Control, Proper Apex for different types if turns
- Car Handling – Understeer, oversteer, use of the throttle and brakes to make the car turn
- On Track rules
- Flags – a detailed presentation from Armadillo Racing’s Andy Collins on what they mean and how they affect you.
On Track Day Covers:
- Track walk to learn the course.
- On track driving with one-on-one instruction
- Graduate certificate upon successful completion of course
- For those pursuing a license, a mock start to practice gridding, formation lap and start procedures.
Important Information for the Competition Driving School:
- Message to Students
- Competition Driving school student handbook (Downloadable Document)
- Pacific Raceways Track Map (Downloadable Document)
- Technical Car Inspection Form (Downloadable document)
- Mock start instructions (Downloadable document)
- Driver Evaluation Form (Downloadable Document)
- Message to Instructors
- Schedule for the day – May change slightly (Downloadable Document)
Our chief IRDC Chief Driving Instructor is Steve Barnes who can be reached at email@example.com