Competition Driving School
The first Driving School for 2023 will take place on Friday, June 9th at Pacific Raceways, registration for students and instructors is open at MotorSportReg.com. Last year our first school in May was sell out with 20 students. Be sure to register early to secure your spot!
At the IRDC driving school our passion is to help you develop as a driver on the road, on the track and ultimately in a race, so we look forward to welcoming drivers of all levels, including first-time track drivers!
The focus of our school is to help you develop your high-performance driving skills and make progress on achieving the goals you and your coach agree to at the start of the day. All of our instructors are competition-licensed racecar drivers with many miles of track and race experience who are ready to share their knowledge to develop your skill. For those drivers whose aspiration includes wheel to wheel racing the school will evaluate your current demonstrated skills with respect to readiness for a Novice racing license from the International Conference of Sports Car Clubs (ICSCC).
The Wednesday evening prior to the school we will conduct a mandatory 3-hour online briefing via Zoom. Registered students will receive a link to the meeting early in the week of the school.
The school consists of a full day of on-track activities and classroom sessions at Pacific Raceways. The typical schedule of activities starts at 7:00 am with check-in, car inspection and instructor introduction. The track walk takes place at 7:55am where you will learn the details of each corner, the angles, the surface, camber, slope and reference points that enable a drive to achieve consistent lap times.
The Classroom Covers:
- Car preparation – tires, brakes, fluids, seat belts
- Car Control, Proper Apex for different types if turns
- Car Handling – Understeer, oversteer, use of the throttle and brakes to make the car turn
- On Track rules
- Flags – a detailed presentation from Armadillo Racing’s Andy Collins on what they mean and how they affect you.
On Track Day Covers:
- Track walk to learn the course
- On track driving with one-on-one instruction
- Graduate certificate upon completion of course
Important Information for the Competition Driving School:
- Message to Students
- Competition Driving school student handbook (Downloadable Document)
- Pacific Raceways Track Map (Downloadable Document)
- Technical Car Inspection Form (Downloadable document)
- Mock start instructions (Downloadable document)
- Driver Evaluation Form (Downloadable Document)
- Message to Instructors
- Schedule for the day – May change slightly (Downloadable Document)
Our chief IRDC Chief Driving Instructor is Steve Barnes who can be reached at email@example.com
All payment will be through https://www.motorsportreg.com/ and will be processed by the Race School Registrar: Linda Blackburn. Contact Steve Barnes for Technical questions.